No Fault Insurance Claim

Michigan’s No Fault Auto Insurance law protects you and your passengers if you get into an car accident. Your mandatory no fault auto insurance covers your medical expenses, up to 3 years of lost wages, and other necessary expenses related to your injury. These cases are called PIP or First Party Lawsuits because you are seeking benefits from your own insurance provider, instead of the other driver.

Which No-Fault Company Pays?

Every motorist in the State of Michigan is covered under the No Fault Auto Insurance law. Which company pays depends on what insurance you and the people around you own.

  • If you own a car, even if you weren’t driving at the time of the accident, your own insurance company covers you. Even if the accident is entirely your fault, you are still covered under the law.
  • If you don’t have a no fault insurance policy you can still be covered under the policy of a relative who lives with you. This is how most children’s injuries are covered.
  • If no one you live with has an auto insurance policy you can still be covered by the policy that covers the car you were in at the time of the accident, usually the driver’s policy.
  • In the rare case that you are were a passenger or pedestrian and the car involved is uninsured, your claim will be covered by the state’s Assigned Claims Facility.

No Fault Insurance Claim Benefits?

Medical Expenses

Your No Fault Insurance covers all of your medical expenses, plus several other costs resulting from an auto accident. Your insurance provider is legally required to pay for all your reasonably necessary medical care resulting from the accident. That includes the cost of transportation to and from those treatments, whether as mileage or payments made to a medical transportation company.

Lost Wages

Your First Party claim also covers up to 85% of your first 3 years of lost wages. Whether you were out of work for 1 day or are permanently disabled, you can be compensated for your time off work. If you were unemployed at the time, you may still qualify based on your work history.

Household Expenses

If you have to hire someone to take care of your home while you are healing, you could be entitled to up to $20 per day for up to 3 years. Your medical condition could also qualify you for in-home attendant care or for modifications to your home to accommodate your disability including grab bars, ramps, and widened doorways.

The no fault  insurance claim experts at Christensen Law can help you understand what is covered by your insurance policy and what benefits you can expect to receive in your First Party Lawsuit. David Christensen and his team have been helping the victims of auto accidents for over 30 years. They can help you get your medical expenses and other PIP benefits paid.