When injuries happen on the water, you can still seek compensation from the negligent party. Find out how to handle your claim by working with a Detroit boat accident lawyer.
If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, you may be wondering how to go about seeking compensation. Boat wrecks are similar to car accidents: You can file a personal injury claim against an irresponsible operator or other party and sue for any damages you may have incurred.
It’s essential to have a legal ally experienced in litigating boat accident cases. A Detroit boat accident lawyer from Christensen Law can fight to get you the full compensation you deserve.
Types of Watercraft Accidents
There are many different kinds of boat accidents, any of which can lead to a serious injury. Your Detroit boat accident lawyer will have experience litigating all types of cases, including any of the following:
- Collision Between Two Boats – If you were a passenger aboard one of two boats that collided and you experienced an injury, you can file a claim against the negligent driver. If you were one of the drivers, you can also file a claim. However, due to comparative negligence laws, you would need to prove that you were less than 50 percent at fault.
- Collision with an Object – If a boat driver is driving heedlessly through water and strikes an object, such as a submerged rock or buoy, you can seek compensation if the operator failed to notice the object due to negligence.
- Hitting Another Boat’s Wake – Sometimes hitting another boat’s wake creates a force strong enough to knock you over and cause serious injury. Whether the boat driver is found negligent depends on visibility conditions, the operator’s actions, land where the accident occurred. The driver of the boat that created the wake could also be found negligent if the accident occurred in a no-wake zone.
- Failure to Have Proper Safety Equipment – Even small boats are required by state and federal laws to have life jackets for every person on board, as well as flares and whistles. Failure to have these items can mean serious harm in the event of an accident. In 2015, 85 percent of boating accident fatalities were not wearing a life jacket.
- Pier and Dock Accidents – Some watercraft accidents are caused by negligent dock conditions or the careless actions of pier or dock workers. When this happens, the authority in charge of the pier could be responsible.
Determining the Value of a Boat Wreck
Your Detroit boat accident lawyer will know that a boating wreck can negatively impact your life in many ways. Our firm will work to get you full compensation that represents these hardships, which may include any of the following:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and reduced income-earning opportunity
- Boat repairs or replacement
- Physical or emotional therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
Contact a Detroit Boating Accident Lawyer
After a watercraft wreck, there is hope. A Detroit boat accident lawyer with Christensen Law will fight to get you every penny you’re owed. Call us today at 248-213-4900 or complete our online contact form to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation.