Burn injuries can lead to severe disability and permanent disfigurement. If your burn injury was someone else’s fault, enlist the help of a Detroit burn injury attorney to get the compensation you deserve.
Burns are some of the most devastating injuries you can experience and can leave permanent physical and emotional scarring. If the injury was a result of someone else’s negligence, you deserve justice, but getting it can be a difficult undertaking.
The days, weeks, and months after a burn injury can be tumultuous, but a Detroit burn injury lawyer can be an essential partner in a difficult time. Christensen Law has experience holding negligent parties accountable and getting burn injury victims the settlements they deserve.
Facts About Burn Injuries
Each year, nearly 500,000 people seek medical attention for burn injuries. Burn injuries are characterized as either first, second, or third degree.
A first-degree burn, such as a sunburn, damages the top layer of skin. In a second-degree burn, the underlying layer of skin is damaged; these are characterized by blistering. In a third-degree burn, all layers of the skin and underlying tissue are damaged.
Someone else’s negligent behavior could have caused your burn injury in a number of ways. Some scenarios that commonly lead to burn injuries include the following:
- Vehicle Accidents – Negligent driving behaviors can lead to accidents that result in burn injuries. Common negligent driving behaviors include distracted driving, drunk driving, speeding, and drowsy driving.
- Workplace Accidents – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration heavily regulates construction sites. If employers or property owners do not abide by these guidelines, burn injuries can occur, often resulting from electrocution or exposure to toxic chemicals. If you’ve been injured on the job, you could be entitled to a settlement that holds a negligent foreman or property owner accountable and goes beyond workers compensation.
- Defective Product Accidents – Product manufacturers are obligated to create safe objects for public use or to adequately warn the public if products are found to be unsafe. If a product malfunction caused your burn injury, you could be entitled to compensation.
- Premises Liability Accidents – If business or property owners do not maintain safe premises for visitors, burns may result. For example, you may have suffered contact burns if a property owner did not adequately protect a heat source.
Determining Claim Value
When you contact a Detroit burn attorney, he or she will first review all the details of your case in order to determine fault. This may involve going over all applicable records, which may include police reports, eyewitness accounts, medical records, and other types of evidence.
While an insurance company may initially offer you a settlement, it is unlikely to adequately meet your needs. Insurance companies are primarily interested in protecting their profits—not in securing your financial wellbeing.
Our Detroit injury attorneys know that accidents that cause burn injuries can impose countless financial hardships. Your attorney will fight to get you a settlement that accounts for all of these, including the following:
- Current and future lost income
- Medical bills and ongoing care
- Physical and emotional therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Decreased quality of life
Contact a Detroit Burn Injury Attorney
Burn injuries can be devastating, but a Detroit burn injury lawyer will fight for you to receive justice. Call Christensen Law today at 248-206-2500 or fill out our contact form below to schedule a consultation.