Over the past decade, Americans have come to rely on rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft (and others) as a safe, convenient and affordable method of travel. Detroiters trust rideshare services to provide transportation when we don’t want to or cannot drive ourselves.
It’s easy to forget that Uber and Lyft drivers are people just like us. They can make the same mistakes as drivers that we can behind the wheel. Drivers working for Uber or Lyft have even more demands than the average motorist. They must operate the mobile rideshare application on their phone and interact with passengers while trying to keep their focus on the road.
Unfortunately, the increasing numbers of Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare vehicles on Detroit’s roads have caused an increase in rideshare accidents.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a rideshare accident, you may need a lawyer to sue Uber or Lyft for your injuries and damages. Contact Christensen Law today to schedule a free case review. You will learn more about pursuing compensation for a Detroit rideshare accident.
How Does an Insurance Claim Work in Rideshare Accidents?
Michigan law requires every driver to carry liability insurance. By law, rideshare drivers must also carry additional insurance coverage.
In an accident involving a vehicle in use for the rideshare company, either the company or the individual driver’s insurance will apply. An attorney can help determine which policy should cover your injuries. In general, the amount of available coverage depends on the rideshare driver’s status at the time of the accident.
- If the rideshare driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick up a passenger: Rideshare companies’ insurance policies will cover damages of up to $1 million for their drivers and passengers or other persons injured in an accident.
- If the rideshare driver has the app on and is waiting for a ride request: If the rideshare driver is waiting for a ride request, rideshare companies offer insurance coverage of up to $50,000.
- If the driver does not have the app on: If a rideshare driver is not logged into the mobile application, the rideshare company has no liability. Anyone injured by the driver must look to the driver’s own personal or commercial auto insurance policy.
Compensation after a Lyft or Uber Accident
If you have been injured in a Lyft or Uber accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and the other damages. The at-fault party may owe you compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses, such as hospital bills, surgeries, doctor’s office visits, prescription medication, physical and occupational therapy, medical or mobility equipment, and any deductibles, co-insurance, co-pays or other out-of-pocket costs.
- Lost wages, if you are forced to miss time from work while recovering from your injuries.
- Lost earning potential, if your injuries disable you from working at your full pre-accident potential and you suffer a reduction in your future income.
- Pain and suffering or lost quality of life, such as:
- The physical or emotional anguish caused by your injuries.
- Disabilities that prevent you from enjoying activities.
- Embarrassment or humiliation arising from physical disfigurement.
- Loss of consortium, or compensation to your spouse for the loss of your companionship and services.
- Your property that was damaged in the accident.
Michigan Uber Laws
Beginning in 2017, Michigan imposed new regulations on drivers who operate for rideshare companies such as Uber. Michigan drivers who work for rideshare companies must carry at least $1 million in liability coverage for an accident that occurs while the driver is transporting passengers. Drivers must have at least $50,000 in liability coverage for accidents that happen while the driver is logged into the mobile rideshare application but is waiting for a ride request.
This coverage can be their own or it may be provided by their rideshare company. Many rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft provide this coverage to their drivers and passengers.
In addition, Michigan law now requires the drivers to maintain no-fault insurance and property damage liability coverage.
The Michigan legislature also requires rideshare companies to perform background checks on drivers who want to operate in the state. Finally, rideshare drivers in Michigan must submit to regular vehicle inspections.
How a Detroit Uber and Lyft Accident Attorney Can Help You
When you’ve been hurt in a rideshare accident, you may not think you need an attorney. However, it is not recommended that you try to recover the cost of your crash by yourself. A qualified lawyer can help you get the maximum compensation for the injuries you suffered in the accident. At Christensen Law, our Detroit Uber and Lyft accident attorneys can help you pursue your case by:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts and circumstances of your accident. We will secure evidence that shows how the accident occurred and who may be at fault.
- Working with experts to build a persuasive legal argument. The goal is to establish the at-fault party’s liability for the accident and show the extent of your compensable damages.
- Determining the insurance coverages available. We will determine whether you can make a claim against the rideshare company’s insurance policy. We will also determine the amount of coverage available to you under that policy.
- Promptly and properly filing your claim. We want to avoid delay or denial of your claim by the insurance companies.
- Aggressively negotiating with the insurance companies. We will help you reach a settlement that provides you with full and fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Preparing to take your case to trial. If it becomes necessary, we will take your case to trial and argue before a judge or jury to win a judgment in your favor.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you may be owed significant compensation. At Christensen Law, we can help you understand your legal rights and options. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today to speak with a Detroit Uber and Lyft accident attorney.
Learn how a rideshare accident lawyer can help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries. Call us now or contact us online.