Filing a PLPD Insurance Claim in Michigan

heading divider

Personal liability and property damage (PLPD) insurance is a combination of personal liability coverage and property damage insurance. If you are responsible for causing a car accident, this type of insurance covers the other driver’s medical expenses and vehicle damage. Generally speaking, this is the bare bones version of auto insurance in Michigan.

Michigan is a no-fault state, for auto insurance purposes. That means that every motorist across the state is required to carry auto insurance coverage on their vehicle. It also means that, should a wreck occur, everyone involved will need to file a claim with their own insurance company, no matter who caused the accident.

In the aftermath of the accident, your insurance provider will cover your medical expenses and lost wages up to the limits of your policy. Continue reading to learn more about Michigan auto insurance requirements and what you can expect when filing a PLPD insurance claim.

Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements in Michigan

In Michigan, you’re required to carry certain types and limits of auto insurance on your policy. These include the following:

  • $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL)
  • $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident in bodily injury liability (BIL)
  • $1 million in property protection insurance (PPI)
  • Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) fees

This combination of PDL and BIL compose your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. After your employer’s disability insurance kicks in, your insurance company will cover up to $500,000 in medical expenses and provide the remaining amount of your lost wages. This combination allows you to secure your total lost income while you’re unable to work.

Although comprehensive, collision, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is not a requirement in Michigan, it would be well-advised to carry this protection in the event of a devastating accident. Your own insurer will cover some of your damages, but typically, not all of them. If you are seriously injured, you’ll need to bring a claim against the liable driver to obtain the compensation you need.

What Happens When You File a Claim

Once you’ve reached the limits of your auto insurance policy, you’ll need to file a PLPD claim with the other driver’s insurance provider. The at-fault driver’s insurer should cover your remaining medical expenses and property damages.

Unfortunately, this process isn’t always simple or straightforward. Insurance providers are part of a for-profit industry. This means they lose money every time they settle a claim and will try to limit that loss. For example, your insurer might try to make you appear more liable for the accident in order to reduce your total settlement amount.

Modified comparative negligence laws allow your payout to be reduced by the percentage of fault you carry. If you are found to be more than 49 percent at fault, for example, you might not be able to recover anything from the other involved parties. Your attorney will handle the negotiations process to ensure you aren’t taken advantage of in your time of need.

Consult an Experienced Michigan Auto Insurance Attorney

If you need assistance dealing with an insurance company, or if you have questions regarding your motor vehicle collision, reach out to an experienced Michigan auto insurance lawyer at Christensen Law.

Our firm is prepared to fight for the compensation you need to move forward with your life. You can complete the quick contact form below or call our office at 248-213-4900 to schedule a free consultation today.

Distracted Driving
Awareness Scholarship