You shouldn’t have to worry about your safety when you’re riding the bus, but sometimes bus crashes leave victims injured and stuck with mountains of medical bills and other damages. A Detroit bus accident attorney can help victims like you recover the compensation they deserve.
Buses are a common sight on Detroit’s roads. Although bus accidents seem to be less frequent than collisions between other vehicles, the tremendous size and weight of buses means accidents involving them can be catastrophic.
If you’ve been injured in a bus accident—as a passenger, pedestrian, or driver of another vehicle—a seasoned Detroit bus accident lawyer with Christensen Law can fight for the compensation you need to make a full recovery.
Common Causes of Detroit Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can include public transit buses, private charter buses, and school buses. All of these vehicles carry many passengers at a time, so the potential for multiple injuries and fatalities is high when they crash.
Some common causes of bus crashes include the following:
- Driver Recklessness – This includes behaviors like speeding and running red lights. The driver could be found negligent and therefore responsible for your injuries in cases like this.
- Driver Fatigue – Drowsy driving is common in drivers of all types of vehicles, but bus drivers may drive for extended periods of time, making them more susceptible to fatigue. If the bus company required the driver to work for too long at one time, you might be able to name the company in your claim for compensation.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving practices like texting or talking on the phone cause countless crashes each year. Bus drivers are not immune to the temptation to drive distracted, and they should be held responsible if their actions result in your injuries.
- Defects – If any bus part malfunctioned and caused the Detroit bus crash that injured you, you might be able to pursue compensation from the manufacturer of the defective part.
- Inadequate Training – The bus company may fail to hire and train qualified drivers. You might be able to hold the company and the bus driver accountable in such a case.
What’s Your Detroit Bus Claim Worth?
After a bus crash in Detroit, there are several types of claims for which you might be eligible:
- A first-party claim, or no-fault insurance claim, is typically provided by your own insurance policy. This is also a known as a personal injury projection (PIP) claim, and it covers immediate, tangible expenses related to your accident, such as medical bills, lost wages, and replacement services.
- A third-party claim, or a claim related to pain and suffering, can be filed against the group or individual that caused the crash, including the bus company. In Michigan, these types of claims usually call for intangible damages, such as reduced quality of life or psychological trauma.
- In the tragic event that the bus accident resulted in a fatality, you might be eligible to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of your loved one.
Enlist the Services of a Detroit Bus Crash Lawyer
While a bus accident can be a harrowing experience, getting help doesn’t have to be. The attorneys at Christensen Law can fight for the compensation you deserve while you give yourself time to heal.