The personal injury claim process can take some time, and this can be frustrating for accident victims. You need that settlement because you are probably dealing with financial losses brought about by your accident. You can’t pay for all of that on your own.
You could be looking at enormous medical bills, lost income, property damage, and many other financial ramifications of being seriously injured in an accident.
If you’re like most people in this situation, you might be asking yourself, “How long after a demand letter does a settlement take?”
Factors That Affect Claim Processing Time
In general, most injury cases will be resolved within a few months to a year. If your injuries aren’t too severe and your damages aren’t massive, your lawyer should be able to negotiate a fair settlement within this time frame.
However, if you have serious injuries and great damages, there are some factors that could increase your claim’s processing time:
- The severity of your injury will play a role. If you are still receiving medical treatment, your claim could take longer to reach a resolution.
- The insurance adjuster’s schedule could be full, and that could mean a longer processing time.
- If your evidence is not strong, the insurer could fight your claim, which will lengthen the claim process. If your case is taken to court, this will add time to the process, as well.
- Insurance companies sometimes purposely drag out the claim process in the hope that you’ll give in and accept a lower settlement offer.
- If you aren’t the only injured party involved in the claim, the process could be lengthened.
- Certain times of the year, such as around the holiday season, can increase claim-processing time.
The above are just a few examples of factors that could drag out your claim. A lawyer on your team can help your claim reach a favorable resolution more quickly.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer Near You
Now you know a little more about how long after a demand letter a settlement can take. Get in touch with an injury attorney for help speeding up the claim process. To reach Christensen Law and schedule your free consultation, call 248-213-4900 or fill out the online contact form below.