Commercial trucks are common on the highways in Grand Rapids and throughout Michigan. The sheer size, weight and large blind spots of semi-trucks pose serious dangers to other motorists. That’s why it is so important that truckers drive responsibly.
When a semi-truck accident occurs, the results are often devastating. Truck accident victims can suffer severe and debilitating injuries that require long-term medical care and costly treatments.
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a Grand Rapids accident caused by a truck driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The skilled and compassionate truck accident attorneys of Christensen Law can help with your claim. We will protect your rights and help you get the compensation you need for your recovery. To schedule a free and confidential consultation, call us today.
Why You Need a Lawyer for a Truck Accident Case
When you have been injured in a Michigan truck accident, you need a personal injury lawyer with a full understanding of state and federal trucking regulations. You need a lawyer who knows Michigan’s complicated no-fault insurance system. At Christensen Law, our truck accident lawyers in Grand Rapids, MI, will handle all aspects of your trucking accident. In the aftermath of your accident, help from our Grand Rapids legal team will allow you to focus on your health and recovery.
The Grand Rapids truck accident lawyers at Christensen Law will fight for your rights to obtain no-fault personal protection insurance (PIP) benefits. These benefits include medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, and expenses for replacement services.
We can pursue a claim against the other entities involved, including the truck driver, the trucking company and all other liable parties. If the other party negligently caused the death of your loved one, our attorneys can bring a wrongful death suit.
It is wise to hire a truck accident attorney immediately following your accident. The trucking company will have its own team of investigators gathering evidence within hours. You need your own legal team to make sure you don’t miss any crucial steps after your crash.
Christensen Law will interview witnesses and obtain photos of your visible injuries and damaged property. We will work with highly skilled professionals who reconstruct accidents to enhance your legal argument. Our investigators can also extract data from the truck’s black box, which provides information about the driver’s speed, braking, and other actions at the time of the accident.
Truck accident claims are very complicated. It is imperative that you have a seasoned commercial truck accident lawyer on your side who can thoroughly investigate the accident and determine who is liable for your injuries and other losses. At Christensen Law, we are well-versed in these complex personal injury claims. Our Grand Rapids truck accident attorneys can help you fully understand your legal options. Our skilled legal team will fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
How Truck Accidents Are Different
Truck accidents are much more complex than car accidents. Most motorists believe those accidents are fundamentally the same since the requirements under Michigan’s no-fault laws are the same. However, key differences separate truck and car accident cases.
- Truck laws. Truck accidents involve specific federal and state laws that apply to truck accident injury cases but not to other types of motor vehicle accident and injury cases. An experienced Michigan truck accident lawyer will understand the specific laws that apply to your case. For example, a truck accident lawyer with Christensen Law may obtain the trucker’s logs to see if federal limits on driving hours were broken.
- Liability questions. Liability is also more complicated in truck accident questions. Liability may include parties other than the truck driver, such as the trucking company, the truck’s manufacturer, and freight or cargo loading companies.
- Insurance issues. Truck accidents are more likely to result in severe injuries or wrongful death than car accidents. When the injuries are catastrophic or fatal, an experienced truck accident lawyer will look for any and all insurance policies that could increase the compensation available to you and your family.
Potentially responsible parties in commercial truck accidents
Liability in truck crashes and subsequent injury claims can be complex. That is why it is crucial to have an experienced commercial truck attorney on your side. At Christensen Law, our semi-truck lawyers will thoroughly evaluate your crash. We will make sure the person or persons responsible for your crash are held legally and financially responsible for the injury they caused.
Parties held liable in Michigan truck accident cases could include:
- The truck driver
- The vehicle owner
- The trucking company / motor carrier
- The truck’s manufacturer
- Any contractors involved
- The party that loaded the truck
- The shipper that retained the trucking company
Maximum Compensation for Truck Accident Injuries
Truck crashes are often much more damaging than other car collisions and can result in severe or catastrophic injuries and death. The details of your accident and injuries will determine the amount of compensation you may receive for your truck accident injuries. These factors include:
- The degree of negligence of all parties in your crash
- The severity of your injuries
- The manner in which the injuries have affected your life
- The emotional trauma you suffered from your accident and your injuries
- The scars and disfigurement the accident caused
- The medical treatment, surgeries, and physical rehabilitation that resulted from your accident
- Your lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- The insurance policy limits for the truck driver and the trucking company
If you lost a family member in the truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death action seeks payment for your loved one’s pain and suffering as well as the loss of your loved one’s companionship and the economic losses caused by his or her injury and death.
The experienced Grand Rapids truck accident lawyers at Christensen Law will fight tirelessly to get you the maximum compensation including:
- Medical expenses (past, present, and future)
- Loss of current income and potential earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional trauma
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Property loss
- Funeral expenses in accidents involving fatalities
Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Claim
Most legal actions, including truck accident claims, have a statute of limitations that limits the time you have to file a lawsuit for compensation. If you wait too long to file a lawsuit, you may lose your right to obtain compensation from the at-fault party.
In Michigan, the statute of limitations for a truck accident lawsuit is three years. This means you have three years from the date of the truck accident to file a lawsuit seeking pain and suffering damages and economic loss.
The deadline to file a no-fault insurance lawsuit against your insurance company for your no-fault insurance benefits is one year from the date the expense was incurred. Typically, that is the date of the truck accident. If you fail to file your lawsuit before the deadline, you may lose the benefits you are owed under your no-fault insurance coverage. Our team at Christensen Law will make sure you meet your deadlines to get the compensation you need.
Talk to a Grand Rapids Truck Accident Attorney Now
The Grand Rapids truck accident lawyers at Christensen Law understand the complexities involved in truck accidents. The attorneys know how traumatic a truck accident can be for the injured person and family members. Our skilled, compassionate semi-truck accident attorneys will work hard to ensure you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe us a dime until we secure compensation for you. We offer free, no-obligation consultations so that you can discuss your legal options in a no-pressure environment. Contact Christensen Law by calling us to schedule one today.