Dave Christensen is the greatest lawyer inside and out.” - Tashee P. - Oak Park, MI
David made sure all of my medical bills were paid for.” - Antonio D. - Livonia, MI
Christensen Law is not an ordinary firm, it's exceptional.” - D.T. - Jackson, MI
They took my case to trial & won me a great settlement.” - H.H Davidson
When storms happen, downed power lines can put everyone at risk. Recently, a Taylor teen was electrocuted and killed by a fallen line. Learn how to stay safe and protect your children from the dangers of electrocution.
Storms swept through Metro Detroit on Saturday, July 8, 2016, dropping power lines. All together, about 60,000 DTE customers in and around Wayne County lost power. But one family had it harder than most.
Austin Wohlfeil, a 16-year-old sophmore at Taylor High School in Taylor, Michigan, was electrocuted and killed because of a downed power line. He spotted smoke in his back yard. A fallen electrical line had started a fire. He rushed to put out the fire with a large water gun.
A jolt of electricity knocked Austin and his older brother to the ground. Taylor police say it is unclear whether the power line made direct contact with either brother, or if the electricity arced to them. The older brother survived, but Austin died of his injures later that day.
DTE offered condolences to the Wohlfeil family and is investigating the incident.
When electrocution happens, it is almost always because of someone or some company’s negligence. When a power company fails to repair or maintain its power lines, the result are all too often fatal.
No one should die because of a downed electrical wire, but this case is particularly tragic because it involved a teenager. Don’t let your children become the next news story. Follow these safety tips to protect you and your family:
If you must exit a vehicle you think may be charged, jump completely clear. Don’t touch the ground and the vehicle at the same time. Once you are away, shuffle your feet to avoid an electrical shock.
Electrocution accidents are far too often fatal. Do your part to protect yourself and your family from danger. If a power line does start a fire, get to safety and call the fire department. Don’t try to handle it yourself, or you could be risking your life.
David Christensen is a personal injury attorney at Christensen Law in Southfield, Michigan. He has experience with electrocution injuries and can help compensate your family for your loss. If you or a loved one has been injured by a downed power line, contact Christensen Law today for a free consultation.