Find out how a Detroit taxicab accident lawyer can help you after you’ve been injured.
Maybe you hailed a cab on your way back from a night on the town, when you were headed to the airport, or to get to work when your car was in the shop. Whatever the situation was, if the taxi driver crashed and left you injured, you may be struggling to recover and deal with the financial burden the accident has placed on you.
You’re not alone. A Detroit taxi accident lawyer from Christensen Law can help you pursue the compensation you need as you focus on making a full recovery.
Common Causes of Taxi Accidents
Professional taxi drivers are not immune to the dangers of the road. Some common causes of taxi accidents include the following factors:
- Distracted Driving – If your Detroit taxicab driver was doing anything that distracted him or her from the road when your accident occurred, this could be considered distracted driving.
- Drowsy Driving – Taxi drivers may keep irregular hours or work long shifts that render them too tired to react quickly to changing road conditions and traffic.
- Careless Driving – Cab drivers may speed or weave in and out of traffic while on the job.
- Defective Parts – Like other vehicles, taxis can suffer from malfunctions and defective parts. Sometimes, these problems can cause accidents.
- Poor Maintenance – Detroit taxicab companies must maintain their vehicles for safe driving. Inadequate maintenance can cause taxi crashes.
A knowledgeable Detroit cab crash lawyer will work with you to reconstruct your accident and determine who was at fault for your injuries.
Who’s at Fault in a Taxi Accident?
Because Michigan is a no-fault insurance state, you must first seek compensation from your own insurance policy after any kind of vehicle accident. However, if you do not have automobile coverage (or even an automobile, for that matter), you may be eligible to file a claim under the insurance of the taxi driver or cab company, according to Michigan law.
Additionally, you may file a claim if you were not in the taxi yourself—for instance, if you were a pedestrian hit by a taxi driver or if you were operating another vehicle when the cab hit you. In the tragic event that a loved one was killed in a taxi accident, a Detroit taxicab accident attorney can help you file a wrongful death suit.
You might even be able to pursue compensation from the manufacturer of a defective car part if that part caused your taxi accident.
The taxi company will likely deny fault after an accident. Cab companies have working for them insurance investigators and lawyers whose entire job is to protect the company from expensive lawsuits. Our lawyers are used to the taxi company’s tactics and will stand up to the insurance company to get you the compensation you’re owed.
What’s My Detroit Taxi Case Worth?
The injuries and other damages that result from Detroit cab accidents can place a severe financial burden on your life.
However, if your injury claim is successful, you could receive compensation for the following damages:
- Present and expected medical expenses
- Lost wages and inability to return to work
- Property damage
- Household replacement services, including chores and childcare
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
Contact a Detroit Taxi Accident Attorney
If you’ve been hurt in a taxi accident, you don’t have to sort through the messy aftermath on your own. Find out how an experienced attorney can help you by contacting Christensen Law.