All across Michigan, residents and visitors will soon be raising a glass to 2017. But without a designated driver, a New Year’s Eve celebration can quickly turn into a tragic drunk driving accident. Don’t put yourself or your loved ones at risk. Get a Safe Ride Home from Christensen Law.
Last year, Christensen Law founder David Christensen decided to take proactive steps to reduce drunk driving accidents in Metro Detroit. So he created the Safe Ride Home program to offer free rides to residents who have had too much to drink on Thanksgiving Eve.
Safe Ride Home Available Again New Year’s Eve
The Safe Ride Home initiative made appearances again on New Year’s Eve 2015, St. Patrick’s Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving Eve 2016. So far, the program has helped over 300 residents get home safely after holiday celebrations. And it will be available again this December 31.
Drunk Driving Fatal Accidents Are On the Rise
The Safe Ride Home program is especially important this year, as Michigan is seeing a rise in fatal car accidents and drunk driving deaths. In 2015, Michigan State Police reported 963 deaths, compared to 876 the year before. And that number appears to be climbing again this year.
The picture isn’t much prettier when alcohol becomes involved. Nationwide, there was a 5% increase in fatal passenger car accidents involving alcohol. Michigan drunk driving fatalities jumped by 55 incidents during the same period.
Choose a Safe Way Home on December 31, 2016
“Keep yourselves and others safe this New Year’s Eve by not drinking and driving,” said Sheriff Bouchard. “If you do drink, designate a driver, or find a service like Uber or a cab to take you home. Safe Ride Home is helping to encourage folks to make the right decision related to responsible drinking.”
Many people enjoy New Year’s Eve with alcohol. But if you do, make sure you plan how to get a Safe Ride Home. Choose a designated driver, or take advantage of Christensen Law’s offer to pay for your cab or Uber ride.
How Safe Ride Home Works
If you’ve had too much to drink on New Year’s Eve, you can take advantage of Safe Ride Home. Here are the details:
- Offer is good from 4 p.m. on December 31, 2016 to 4 a.m. on January 1, 2017.
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- Maximum reimbursement is $35, good for a one-way ride to your home.
- Receipts must be received by Christensen Law by midnight, January 6, 2017 to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Ride must be within Wayne, Macomb, Oakland and Washtenaw counties.
- Provider of ride must be a licensed taxi company or Uber.
- Email a copy of the official taxi company or Uber receipt along with a copy of your valid driver’s license to email@example.com OR send those materials via U.S. Mail to Christensen Law Safe Ride Home, 25925 Telegraph Rd., Suite 200, Southfield, MI 48033.
Call Christensen Law at 248-213-4900 for more details.