Safe Ride Home
New Year’s Eve is a time to think about the past year and make healthy resolutions for the upcoming year. It’s also one of the biggest nights for alcohol related car accidents. If you’re planning on ringing in the New Year at a celebration that includes alcohol, we invite you enjoy a FREE Safe Ride Home paid for by Christensen Law.
Christensen Law is a personal injury law firm and we have represented thousands of victims who have been hurt or injured in drunk driving accidents. Our team has won record-setting verdicts across Michigan. The insurance companies know our success and this benefits our clients. Sadly, fatal car accidents tend to spike on New Year’s Eve because far too many revelers make the poor choice to get behind the wheel of a car and drive after they have been drinking.
Here are some important statistics to keep in mind as you make your New Year’s plans:
- 48 percent of highway deaths on New Year’s Eve are alcohol-related according to MADD
- According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an average of 118 motorists are killed every New Year’s Day
- New Year’s driving statistics from SafeAuto.com show that between 2008 and 2012, January 1st had the highest percentage of alcohol related deaths when compared to other days and holidays.
Before you head out for your NYE celebration, select a designated driver for your group. Remember, a designated driver is someone who does not drink at all – not the person who drinks the least. If you don’t have a designated driver, or perhaps you weren’t planning on drinking and you got caught up in all the fun, then be smart and don’t drive. Instead call a cab or call Uber or Lyft and Christensen Law will pay for it!
What you need to know about drunk driving laws in Michigan:
- In Michigan, you are considered legally drunk if your blood alcohol content level is 0.08 or above
- A zero-tolerance law is in effect for drivers under 21
- Drivers who are cited for drunken driving may be punished with jail, fines, license suspension or revocation, and more
At Christensen Law, we want you to welcome in 2017 wisely and safely. Since 2015, our Safe Ride Home program has provided close nearly 1,000 free rides home to drivers in the Southeastern Michigan area. We encourage you to make the call. Enjoy your celebration and Happy New Year!